On Demand Webinars
ACS Webinars™ – Archived Recordings
CLICK * WATCH * LEARN
Connecting you with subject experts and global thought leaders in chemical sciences, management, and business on relevant professional issues.
(Want to reach bio/chemical industry professionals? Do you know that ACS Webinars reach thousands of listeners each month? Help support ACS in bringing valuable information and services to chemical professionals. To learn more about sponsorship opportunities , please contact us at acswebinars at acs dot org.)
ACS Webinars – Career Channel:
Part of the ACS Webinars program, these presentations feature speakers that address a wide variety of career topics for science and engineering professionals.
- April 5, 2011 - “Successfully Working with Recruiters – Dos and Don’ts” with scientific recruiters Patrick Ropella, Ropella, and Don Alexander, Carlyle & Conlan.
- March 22, 2011 - “Secrets to Getting the Most From the Anaheim ACS National Conference and Career Fair” with Lisa Balbes.
- March 17, 2011 - “CSI Reality: Chemistry in the Crime Labs” with Dr. Jason Schaff, FBI Laboratory, Chemistry Unit.
- March 15, 2011 - “Sharpening Your Interviewing Skills” with Lisa Balbes and Jeff Moore.
- March 8, 2011 - “Resume Writing for Scientists” with Lisa Balbes and John Engelman of S.C. Johnson &Co.
- March 1, 2011 - ”Today’s Job Search Strategies” with Lisa Balbes.
- February 24, 2011 - “Employment (and Un-employment) Trends in the Chemical and Pharma Industries” with Gareth Edwards, ACS Member Research, and economists Brian Roberts and Roger Moncarz, Employment Projections Program, Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- February 1, 2011 – “Professional Growth Strategies for Applied Chemical Technology Professionals” with Mary Moore, Principal Technologist, Eastman Chemical Company, and John Engelman, Project Manager, S. C. Johnson & Son, Inc.
- January 11, 2011 - “Strategies to Find a Job in Small Business” with Dr. John Borchardt.
- November 11, 2010 - “Lead Yourself and Your Team through Mergers, Acquisitions, and Restructuring” with John Ferguson, Pritchett.
- November 2-3, 2010 - Join us at the ACS Virtual Career Fair featuring informative webinars on chemistry careers and trends.
- October 7, 2010 - “Careers in Intellectual Property for Chemists” with Robert Koch, Attorney at law with Milbank Tweed Hadley McCloy LLP
- September 9, 2010 – “How Scientific Skills are Used in Advising the Movie Industry – Facts and Fiction” with Dr. Barry Byrne, University of Florida.
- August 19, 2010 - “Propel Your Career – Networking Tips and Strategies” with Dr. Cheryl Martin, Executive in Residence, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- May 27, 2010 – “Knowing Your Worth: Strategies to Negotiate for a Higher Salary or Pay for Chemical Professionals” with Meredith Dow, Partner at Proven Inc.
- May 13, 2010 – “Chemistry and Communications - A Closer Look at Scientific Careers in Publishing” with Dr. Darla Henderson, Assistant Director of Editorial Development, ACS Publications.
- April 8, 2010 – “Creating a Successful Career in Public Policy and the Chemical Industry: Lessons Not Taught in Classrooms” with Dr. Susan Butts, Senior Director of External Science and Technology Programs at The Dow Chemical Company.
- March 11, 2010 - “Developing Career Skills to Compete in a Global Economy: Observations of AMRI Operations in India, Singapore, Hungary and the United States” with Dr. Michael Trova, Senior VP at AMRI.
- February 11, 2010 - “Love Chemistry and Food? Find out how to find and build a career in the food/flavor industries” with Carolyn Fisher at McCormick.
- January 14, 2010 – “Using Your Chemistry Education to Unlock Career Opportunities in the New Decade: A story from the 2010 ACS President” with Joe Francisco, ACS President 2010.
Prized Science Series
- June 17, 2010 – “A Life of Innovation – Finding Your Passion” with David Walt, Robinson Professor of Chemistry and Professor of Biomedical Engineering at Tufts University, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Professor, and a successful entrepreneur.
Job Club Webinar Series
- November 16, 2010 - “Aligning Your Unique Capabilities with the Goals and Strategies of Companies” with Randi Schoenfelder, Managing Partner at Theodolite Human Capital, LLC.
- October 12, 2010 – “Technical and Leadership Skills to Advance Your Sustainability Toolkit” with Randi Schoenfelder, Managing Partner at Theodolite Human Capital, LLC. Download Slides!
- August 17, 2010 – “Are you Ready for the upcoming ACS Career Fair? Ask the Expert” with Dr. Lisa M. Bables, ACS Career Consultant.
- July 20, 2010 – “Effective Interviewing” with Mary Moore, ACS Career Consultant, and Dr. Lisa M. Balbes, ACS Career Consultant.
- July 13, 2010 – “Preparing Your Resume” with Dr. Lisa M. Bables, ACS Career Consultant and Mary Moore, ACS Career Consultant.
- July 6, 2010 – “Job Search Strategies” with Dr. Lisa M. Bables, ACS Career Consultant.
- June 29, 2010 -”Biotechnology vs. Pharmaceutical: Which is Right for Your Career?” with Dr. Lisa M. Bables, ACS Career Consultant.
ACS Webinars – Business and Innovation Channel:
- June 2, 2011 – “Can We Grow Energy? The Role of Chemistry in the Energy Future.” with Dr. Bruce Dale, Office of Biobased Technologies, Michigan State University.
- March 3, 2011 – “Valuable Resources for Science and Engineering Consultants.” with John Newport, Partner, Chemventive LLC and ChemInnoLab LLC.
- December 2, 2010 - “Venture Capitalists Outlook in 2011 – Crystal ball, smoke screen, and the reality” with David Porter, Apposite Capital, and a panel of venture capitalist experts.
- October 28, 2010 - “Programs and Funding Opportunities for Manufacturers and Small Chemical Businesses – Part II” with Ben Vickery, NIST.
- September 30, 2010 – “Global Patent Protection and International Business Strategies” with Dr. Michael Brodowski, K&L Gates.
- September 23, 2010 – “Demystifying SBIR/STTR Grant Applications and Processes for Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses” with Dr. Josephine Yuen, Program Director, National Science Foundation.
- September 2, 2010 – “Programs and Funding Opportunities for Manufacturers and Small Chemical Businesses” with Doug Devereaux, NIST.
- July 22, 2010 - “Living with Vertigo: An Entrepreneurial Story in the Chemical Industry” with Brian Morin, Founder, Innegrity.
- July 15, 2010 - “Venture Capital Talk: How to Sell Your Science & Get Investors” with David Porter, Managing Partner, Apposite Capital.
- July 1, 2010 – “From Laboratory to Licensing: Protecting Your Intellectual Property Along the Way” with Tom Steinberg from Roberts, Mlotkowski, Safran & Cole in McLean, Virginia.
- June 24, 2010 – “Exit Strategies – A measure of Success for Chemical Entrepreneurs and Small Business” with Kenneth Polk, Director, ACS TechCatalyst.
- June 10, 2010 – “Covering Your Elements – Understanding Professional Liability Concerns Facing Scientific Consultants and Strategies to Protect Yourself” with Richard Kissel, Partner at KPHW Law.
- May 27, 2010 – “Knowing Your Worth: Strategies to Negotiate for a Higher Salary or Pay for Chemical Professionals” with Meredith Dow, Partner at Proven Inc.
- April 29, 2010 – “Success Factors for a Consulting Practice in Chemistry” with Dr. William Golton, a founder and first Chairman of the Chemical Consultants Network, and Vice President (ret.) of The CECON Group, Inc.
- April 22, 2010 – “Raising Capital with Angels: What They Don’t Tell You at Business Schools” with Mike Elconin, President, Tech Coast Angels.
- March 25, 2010 - “How to Grow Your Small Business into a Large Corporation: The Story of SAIC and the Secret Sauce of Employee Ownership” with Martin Staubus, Beyster Institute.
- February 25, 2010 - “East Meets West: Global Opportunities in Asia Pacific” with Ronghui Gao, Business Development Director, BioBay Park, China.
- January 21, 2010 - “Open Innovations: How can Crowd-sourcing in Chemistry Benefit ME?” with Alph Bingham, Founder of InnoCentive.
- November 2009 - “Navigating the IP landscape: Legal issues entrepreneurs and small business owners need to know” with Gianna Arnold, Partner at Miles & Stockbridge, and Director and President of Women in Bio.
- September 2009 – “Government, Green Chemistry, and You: Finding and Securing Small Business Innovative Research Funding from the EPA” with April Richards, Deputy Director at the Environmental Protection Agency.
- August 2009 - “What You Need To Know About Changes in VC Landscape and Capital Raising Process” with Josh Wolfe, Managing Partner at Lux Capital.
- July 2009 – “Avoiding financing pitfalls for start-ups and small business” with Ken Polk, Director of ACS TechCatalyst.
- June 2009 – “From Idea to IPO and Beyond: Practical Lessons from an Entrepreneur” with Al Altomari, former CEO and co-founder of Barrier Therapeutic.
- May 2009 – “Weathering the Storm: Sailing Your Way through Tough Economic Times for Small Chemical Business” with Barry Streusand, an entrepreneur and founder of Applied Analytical.
- April 2009 – “Steps to successful technology commercialization for scientist entrepreneurs and small/medium businesses in lean times” with Craig S. Galbraith, Professor of Entrepreneurship and Technology Management and a GlaxoSmithKline Faculty Fellow of Economic Development at the Cameron School of Business at University of North Carolina, Wilmington.
Chemistry & The Economy Series:
- ‘December 16, 2010 - “Chemicals & the Economy Year End Updates – Impact and Outlook for Executives and Scientists” with Paul Hodges, International eChem, and William Carroll, Occidental Chemical Corp.
- July 8, 2010 - “Chemicals & the Economy Mid-Year Updates – Impact and Outlook for Executives and Scientists” with Paul Hodges, Chairman of International eChem, and author of the well-regarded ICIS Chemicals and the Economy blog.
- October 2009 – “What you need to know about Chemistry and the Economy! Secrets to finding hidden opportunities” with Paul Hodges, Chemical Economist with International eChem.
2011 Chemical Entrepreneurship Series
- June 16, 2011 – “Protecting Your Idea & Safeguarding Your Business Structure.” with Dr. Christine Bellon, VP Intellectual Property/Legal Affairs, Hydra Biosciences, and Dr. Christopher Curfman, Principal, McKeon, Meunier, Carlin & Curfman, LLC, with moderator Rebecca Breitenkamp, Onset Innovations.
- May 19, 2011 – “Turning on the Light Bulb – Idea Generation and Idea Evaluation.” with Dr. Nick Conti, VP, Quest Diagnostics.
- April 21, 2011 - “Is Being an Innovator-Entrepreneur Your Cup of Tea?” with Dr. Judy Giordan, Managing Director, VisionWell, with moderator Dr. Dan Daly, University of Alabama.
Green Chemisty and Sustainability Series:
- May 12, 2011 – “Green Chemistry and Renewable Energy – Two Peas in a Pod.” with Dr. Michael Heben, University of Toledo.
- January 27, 2011 – “Do Business and Chemistry Skills have to be like Oil & Water?” with Lynn Leger, Commercial Development Director, GreenCentre Canada.
- November 18, 2010 - “How Chemical Policy Reform Can Spur Green Chemistry” with Richard Denison, Environmental Defense Fund.
- July 29, 2010 - “Department of Commerce Sustainable Manufacturing Initiative – Government Resources that Support Sustainable Manufacturing” with Morgan Barr, International Economist, DoC Sustainable Manufacturing Initiative.
- May 20, 2010 - “Green Chemistry: Innovation and Application for the New Decade” with Anne Wallin, Dow Chemical
ACS Webinars - Professional Growth Channel:
Part of the ACS Webinars program, these presentations features subject experts on topics and issues of personal & professional growth for scientific professionals.
- June 9, 2011 – “Wow Your Crowd: Presenting Online with Power.” with Jeff Hiller, JB Training Solutions.
- May 5, 2011 – “Creative Problem Solving in Chemical Research.” with Dr. Bill Mattson, Randolph College.
- May 3, 2011 – “Ten Commandments for Being a Successful Scientist.” with Prof. Darren Griffin, University of Kent.
- April 14, 2011 – “Me Too Drugs: R&D Innovations or Imitations?” Dr. Joseph DiMasi, Tufts University Center for Study of Drug Development.
- April 7, 2011 – “Optimizing workplace across five generations of scientists – Challenges and Rewards” with Tammy Erickson, Author and Trainer on How to Build an Innovative Organization.
- March 24, 2011 - “Know Your Drugs: A Pharmacology Primer for Chemical and Life Science Professionals” with Dr. Terry Kenakin, Director at GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development
- February 17, 2011 - “Chemistry without Borders – Immigration for International Scientists” with Martin Lawler, Lawler & Lawler.
- February 10, 2011 – “Chemists in Love: Strategies and Tactics for Dual Career Relationship” with Carolyn & Al Ribes, Dow Benelux, and Benjamin Schwartz & Sarah Tolbert, UCLA.
- February 3, 2011 - “Fundamentals of Effective Scientific Writing – Manuscripts and Grants” with Dr. Kristin Sainani, Clinical Assistant Professor with Health Research and Policy, Stanford University.
- January 20, 2011 - “Financial Planning for Scientific Professionals – Strategies for the New Year” with Ted Sarenski, CPA/PFS, CFP, Blue Ocean Strategic Capital.
- January 13, 2011 - “Persuasion: A Crash Course for Scientists and Chemical Professionals” with Lou Hampton, Hampton Group.
- October 14, 2010 – “Navigating U.S. Immigration – Updates for International Scientists” with Kelly McCown, Attorney at Law, McCown and Evans LLP.
- August 5, 2010 – “Delivering a Dynamic Presentation” with Dr. Nick Washienko, Washienko Communications, and Prof. of Communication, Boston University.
- June 3, 2010 – “Effective Technical Writing – Tips and Strategies Every Scientist Should Know” with Dr. Aline Harrison, the instructor for Effective Technical Writing Short Course offered by the American Chemical Society Office of Professional Education.
- May 6, 2010 - “From a Beaker to a Bottle: Overview of the Drug Discovery and Development Process for Small Molecule Therapeutics” with Ann Newman, Ph.D., Seventh Street Development Group.
- April 15, 2010 – “US Immigration for Foreign-born Scientists – What You Should Know about Employer-Sponsored and Self-Petitions for Green Cards” with Martin Lawler, Lawler & Lawler.
- April 1, 2010 – “How Chemistry is keeping your Food Safe – Application of ultra high pressure liquid chromatography in a Food Safety Laboratory” with Walter Hammack, Florida Department of Agriculture.
- March 18, 2010 - “Staying ahead of the game: Recent innovations in computational methods for drug discovery” with Woody Sherman, Vice President of Applications Science at Schrodinger Inc.
- March 4, 2010 - “Online Monitoring for Water and Wastewater Processes – Global Sustainablilty at Your Fingertips” with Ed Askew of Askew Scientific Consulting.
Leadership Development Series
- June 21, 2011 - “Engaging Colleagues in Dialogue.” with Dr. Kathleen Schulz, Business Results Inc., with moderator Dr. Dave Harwell, ACS Careers.
- June 23, 2011 – “Fostering Innovation” with Frankie Wood-Black, Trihydro, with moderator Dr. Dave Harwell, ACS Careers.
- March 10, 2011 - “Branding YOU! – Why Marketing Yourself is Critical for a Chemistry Career” with Dr. Dawn Mason, Eastman Chemical Co., and Dr. Catherine ‘Katie’ Hunt, Dow Chemical Co.
- September 16, 2010 - “Diversity: Old Topic – Fresh Conversations” with Lolita Chandler, adjunct instructor in the Diversity Management Certificate Program at Cornell University, and Cathy Bristow, Founder and Principal of BRIDGES, a New York consulting firm.
Executive View Series:
- February 18, 2010 - “Failure is an Option: Turning Failure into an Advantage: Story of Inspire Pharma” with Ben Yerxa, Chief of R&D, Inspire Pharmaceuticals.
ACS Webinars – Joy of Science Channel:
- December 9, 2010 - “Kitchen Chemistry: Combining Chemistry and Culinary Delights for the Holiday” with scientists and renowned cookbook authors Shirley Corriher and Peter Barham.
- August 26, 2010 - “Tapping into the Chemistry of Beer and Brewing” with Prof. Charles Bamforth, Dept. Food Science and Technology, UC Davis.
2011 Food Chemistry Series
- May 26, 2011 - “The Chemistry of Cheese and Why We Love it.” with Dr. Michael Tunick, USDA.
- April 28, 2011 - ”Cheers! The Chemistry of Wine” with Dr. Ariel Fenster, McGill University, with moderator Karen Rossi, BMS.
- March 31, 2011 - “Advanced Chemistry of Beer and Brewing” with Dr. Charles Bamforth, Anheuser-Busch Endowed Professor of Brewing Science, UC Davis.
National Chemistry Week/International Year of Chemistry 2011:
- May 24, 2011 - “International Year of Chemistry 2011 – Materials and Health Community Engagement.” with Lynn Hogue and Tracy Halmi.
- December 7, 2010 – “International Year of Chemistry 2011 – Activities and Resources for Your Celebration” with moderators Lynn Hogue (Chair, ACS Committee on Community Activities) and Judy Benham (Chair, ACS International Activities Committee).
- October 21, 2010 - “Sparking Discovery – Chemists in the Community” with Al Hazari, University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Celebrating National Chemistry Week 2010!
ACS Careers Industry Forum Teleconference – recording and text transcript
- November 2009 - “Your Career, Your Choice, Your Control: How Do You Figure Out What To Do Next?” with Dr. Luis Echegoyen, Chemistry Director, National Science Foundation.
- October 2009 – “Career Flexibility: How to Build and Balance a Successful Career in Academia and Industry” with Dr. Jim Wells, Professor, UCSF, and founder, Sunesis.
- September 2009 – “From a Lab Chemist to a Technology Broker: How to use Chemistry to Unlock Other Career Doors” with Dr. Andy Gilicinski, Director of Technology Brokerage and Innovations at Clorox.
- August 2009 - “The Chemistry of Leadership: Making Your Skills Count!”Â with Katie Hunt, Director, Technology Collaboration Development for The Dow Chemical Company.
- June 2009 – “Applying Chemistry in Venture Capital; how to find opportunities” with David Porter, Managing Partner, Apposite Capital.
- May 2009 – “From Chemistry Set as a Ten Year Old to Running R&D for a major Pharmaceutical Company” with John LaMattina, former Senior Vice President, Pfizer Inc and President, Pfizer Global Research and Development.
- April 2009 – “Green Chemists and Engineers- There’s Never Been a Better Time” with Robert Peoples, Director of the ACS Green Chemistry Institute.
- March 2009 – “It’s 2009, Do You Know Where Your Networks Are?” with Katie Hunt, Corporate Sustainability Director and Leader, Technology Partnerships, Rohm and Haas Company.
- February 2009 – “Anticipating the Future: 2015 & Beyond” with William Carroll, Vice President, Chlorovinyl Issues for OxyChem.
- January 2009 – “Mastering the Necessary Skills for the Present and for the Future” - with Thomas Lane, Director, Global Science and Technology Outreach and Senior Research Scientist, Dow Corning Corporation.
- November 2008 – “An Alternate Career Path: Starting and Running Your Own Chemical Company” with Michael Strem, President, Strem Chemicals, and Ephraim Honig, Chief Operating Officer at Strem Chemicals.
- October 2008 – “Working as an Industrial Chemist Internationally” with Carolyn Ribes, Technical Leader, Core Research and Development, Dow Benelux BV, the Netherlands.
- September 2008 – “Career in Pharmaceutical Industry” with Magid Abou-Gharbia,Â former Senior Vice President & Head of Chemical & Screening Sciences, for Wyeth Drug Discovery.
ACS Web Seminar Series for High School Chemistry Educators:
- Fall 2010 Series - Story Telling, Green Chemistry, and Entrorpy